|| Number of Families Helped Through New Lease On Life: 10
Click here to donate now!
What is New Lease on Life
- A New Lease on Life (NLOL), a 501(c)(3) organization and a TAA Transitional Housing program, was designed to help families who have become homeless due to no fault of their own get back on their feet. We are able to bridge member management companies with a local nonprofit agency for a 12-24 month period and provide an available apartment home at a reduced rate with quarterly gradual increases.
- The program's goal is to not offer a hand out, rather a hand up. Our goal at the end of the program is for each family to be self-sustaining and choose to be able to continue to be a renter at market rent.
Who Are We Helping
- Families eligible for NLOL are just like us - they are working, have children in our schools, and living within our community. The only difference, something happened that caused them to lose everything.
- Blue Ridge Companies
- Blue Ridge Companies is a local management company that volunteered to pilot the NLOL program with 4 units.
- Executive Vice President, Susan Passmore states, "BRC is excited to participate in the pilot of the TAA Transitional Housing Program. TAA's vision for this program ties directly to our company mission of creating a positive impact in the community that we serve. The program creates a perfect opportunity for industry professionals, property owners and vendor partners to use the resources they have readily at hand to help families get a new start. Many owners are more than willing to contribute the use of one or two apartment homes that may otherwise sit vacant. There just hasn't been an avenue or process to marry the means with the needs. We feel the "will" is there and this program is the "way." Blue Ridge is committed to the success of this program and we are optimistic that it will continue to grow as more folks see the impact and are moved to get involved."
- Drucker & Falk, LLC
- Drucker & Falk, LLC became a partner in April 2015 and has helped two families through two units.
- Brownlee Law Firm, PLLC
- Brownlee Law Firm, PLLC has helped with the formation of New Lease on Life. We are grateful for their support and creation of the New Lease on Life Addendum, available for the AANC and NAA leases.
- Family Promise of Wake County
- Family Promise of Wake County is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation that responds to the needs of homeless families in Wake County. The specific purpose of Family Promise is to provide temporary stability to homeless families as they work toward permanent independence. Family Promise works to accomplish their mission through three programs: Emergency Shelter Program, Aftercare Program and Transitional Housing. Due to our partnership, New Lease on Life is now the fourth step in Family Promise's program.
How To Get Involved
- What Is Our Biggest Need
- Our biggest need is more management companies and owners to partner with us. In order to move the program forward, we need more units. One unit equals one family's home.
- Unable to give a unit? Here Are 5 Ways You Can Help!
- Why New Lease on Life
- Why not? As an owner, you have an apartment home that may otherwise sit vacant. Why not partner with New Lease on Life - take the apartment home off the market, and help a family have a home.
- It's the right thing to do! In 2015, more than 2,700 school age children were homeless in Wake County alone. As of January 2016, families make up 30% of the Wake County homeless population; yet families were not even considered to be a part of the homeless equation until 2012, which is why there are very few programs that help families.
- We can help change the perception of the industry! If you are an apartment owner, you have probably at least once been called "greedy," "money-hungry," with no interest in the community. By partnering with New Lease on Life, you can help squash the negative image and be a part of the answer that helps change the conversation.
- You can be a part of the solution! Let's put an end to families living out of their car, children taking baths in school sinks - we can help end homelessness, one unit, one family at a time.
- What Are the Risks
- The same risks apply to New Lease on Life as they do to any other renter. Not every story will be picture perfect, but when you partner with New Lease on Life, we are with you every step of the way.
- Who To Contact
- Are you an Owner, Management Company, Independent Rental Owner or Apartment Community? If so, click here!
- Are you a local nonprofit agency? If so, click here!
- Are you a TAA Vendor or Individual and want to get involved or donate to the program? If so, click here!
- All other questions or inquiries, please click here!