Indoor Mask Mandate Reinstated for Orange County
Orange County will reinstate its indoor countywide mask mandate effective 5 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 11. The mandate will apply to anyone 2 years and older, regardless of vaccination status.
The mandate does not apply to the following individuals:
- Anyone with a diagnosed medical or behavioral condition or disability, including difficulty breathing
- Children under two (2) years of age
- Children under five (5) years of age and their parent, guardian, or responsible person has been unable to place and maintain a Face Covering safely on the child’s face
- Anyone who is actively eating or drinking
- Anyone who is seeking to communicate with someone who is hearing impaired in a way that requires the mouth to be visible
- Anyone who is giving a speech or performance for a broadcast or to an audience where they maintain a distance of at least twenty (20) feet from the audience
- Anyone who is working alone in an individual office setting (however, such person(s) shall apply a Face Covering when in common areas such as breakrooms, hallways, restrooms, or other areas where additional persons may be encountered)
- Anyone who has determined the Face Covering is impeding their visibility in the operation of equipment or a vehicle
Even with one of the highest rates of vaccination in the state with 76 percent of the population fully vaccinated, Orange County is still experiencing a surge in new cases, mostly among the unvaccinated.
For the week of June 20-26, Orange County reported nine cases out of 1,596 tests for a positivity rate of 0.6%. For the week of Aug. 1-7, Orange County reported 235 cases out of 4,040 tests for a positivity rate of 5.3%.
A positivity rate above 5% is considered one of the key indicators for increased spread. Recent data from the CDC also shows that vaccinated people can transmit the virus, particularly the highly transmissible Delta variant.
- Orange County amended declaration
- Orange County Health Department’s COVID-19 Vaccine website: https://www.orangecountync.gov/2617/Vaccine
- Orange County Health Department’s Face Covering website: https://www.orangecountync.gov/2435/Face-Coverings
- Orange County Face Coverings Required signs for business, version 1: English/ Spanish
- Orange County Face Coverings Required signs for business, version 2: English/ Spanish